Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New Television Show Stirs Scientific Controversy.....

Chicago, IL- The upcoming premier episode of ABC Television's legal drama "Eli Stone", which is being purported by industry insiders to endorse a link between autism and childhood vaccinations, is stirring up a heated debate amongst scientists, doctors, and anti-vaccination proponents.

The episode features a lawyer, who may or may not be having prophetic visions, involved in a civil suit claiming that a child's autism resulted from the flu vaccine. He argues for the placement of blame to be on the vaccine manufacturer and wins, leading to a large cash award for the child's family and, on the other side of the fourth wall, an angry response from the medical community.

"Perpetuating the myth that vaccines cause autism is irresponsible at best," Emperor Maximus VII, supreme overlord of the alliance of the American Medical Association, Amercian Academy of Pediatrics, and the Pharmaceutical Industry, explained. "If parents watch this program and choose to deny their children the health benefits of routine immunizations, both the offices of the American Broadcasting Company and the streets of Disney World will run red with the blood of my enemies."

These blatant attempts at censorship by the American medical and pharmaceutical establishment aren't being taken lightly by journalist and First Amendment scholar David Kirby, who has fought for years to bring the truth of the connection between mercury from vaccines and autism to the public. "I'm not anti-vaccine. I think vaccines are great for some people in some cases, just not for people who don't want their children to get autism. And I've got a pile of press releases this high to back up my claims."

But what does John Q. Public think? How do regular folks, without the benefit of scientific, medical, or journalistic expertise in the etiology of autism feel about the controversial program. Area Jo-Ann Fabrics manager Stacy Harbst, along with many others, is relieved. "It's nice just to have more options. Working all day, and raising a family, doesn't allow a lot of time to educate myself on important topics like this. I don't know much about autism, or vaccines, but I am happy to know that in addition to Oprah and Parade Magazine, I can now obtain reputable science and health information from a prime time fictional television show."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have to get my info from Oprah now that doc blogger "Flea" is gone. He was my most trusted source.

I thought I had found a better source for my pediatric medical information when I first heard a podcast from a doctor by the name of Dr. Clay. It was on Doc Rob's site.
http://distractible.org/2007/11/05/doctors-unmedicated/

But, Dr. Clay has been missing and hasn't resurfaced. There is a rumor that he is sleeping in a van, down by the river, and has joined the Unification Church. I think he was spotted selling flowers in Louisiana.

Oh dearest Zoo, with all of your journalistic expertise and contacts... won't you please find Dr. Clay for me? Us uneducated parents need him.

Zoo Knudsen said...

I can't say that I know the fella, but he sure sounds handsome. And a Uni to boot. Mighty fine bunch of folks those Unis. Last I heard they owned Baskin-Robbins and were planning to destroy evolution. I'll have to check with my sources on the inside to be sure though. If this Doc Clay turns up I'll let you know.