Monday, February 11, 2008

New Beck Album Pushes Musical Envelope.....

Los Angeles, CA-Continuing his streak of innovative creative efforts, musician, singer-songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist Beck announced the release his latest album, Silent Sounds, in an emergency press conference held today in the party room of an area Jump N Jungle family recreation center.

Never shy of venturing into unexplored musical territory, Beck promised that his new collection would be sure to delight his hardcore fans while still enticing novice listeners. The album, which will hit stores on Friday with a purchase price of $19.99, consists of 23 seperate tracks ranging anywhere from two and a half to nine minutes in length that are completely devoid of both music and lyrics.

"Leave it to Beck, easily one of America's most original musical artists, to attempt something so daring," record executive David Geffen explained. "If anyone else put out an album of complete silence, and charged twenty bucks for it, I think that the public would be outraged. But since it's Beck, the idea is completely hip and I wouldn't be suprised if he takes home a few Grammys."

John Travolta, an American actor who had a string of popular television programs and movies in the 70's and 80's, and a brief resurgence in the 90's, is voicing his support for Beck's new record. "I can see this album being very popular with pregnant scientologists," the former celebrity revealed. "My wife would have loved to have had something to listen to during childbirth that didn't violate the principles of our religion."

Travolta, whose 2000 film Battlefield Earth was hailed by Freedom Magazine as "pretty good", even claims to have suggested a similar approach for the soundtrack of the movie. His idea was ultimately rejected by the executive producers, but may have served as an inspiration for Beck. Beck understudied the role of Johnnie Goodboy Tyler, which was eventually portrayed by actor Barry Pepper, who remembers the film as "one of my paychecks in between Saving Private Ryan and Flags of Our Fathers."

"I was actually one of the few people in the crew that supported Travolta on that," supervising sound editor Allen Smithee explained. "I think it would have really improved the quality of the movie. Unfortunately, they also rejected my suggestion that the cameraman leave the lens cap on."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn, Zoo,

I have filmed all of my home videos with the lens cap on (but they are not worth seeing).

Count me in as one in the millions: I will be charging off to Wal-Mart to get my copy of Beck's latest, assuming his silence is sanctioned?

No implied sordid lyrics?

No explicit advisory?

So much can be read into... silence.

Shutting up now.

Your lost cause,
tl

Sarabeth said...

An album of silence? Can I use it to teach my children the sound of it?